Introduction and Background
The first LESC was launched at COP22 and was the first large-scale technical-solutions conference organized for country delegations, placing innovative technological solutions at the core of the COP meeting.
The specific objectives of the conference were to:
- Strengthen the technical capacities of the 196 signatory governments of the UNFCCC to design and implement long-term low greenhouse gas emissions development strategies
- Chart key technology pathways for decarbonized energy systems, based on public-private partnerships
- Create an intensive global dialogue among engineers and technology specialists on best practices and innovative solutions for a low-emissions future
500 participants joined the conference, including:
- Senior representatives from government with responsibility for the design, promotion and implementation of NDCs and LEDSs.
- Technical experts in related fields, world-leading scientists and engineers, high level research representatives from the business sector and guests from cities and regions around the globe.