LESC in NYC: The Scale of Deep Decarbonization
Introduction and Background
The second Low-Emissions Solutions Conference (LESC) took place during Climate Week NYC 2017 at Columbia University in New York. LESC is focused on technological developments that can support the implementation of the Paris Agreement. It aims to promote problem-solving, brainstorming and global co-creation of multi-sector solutions to address climate change. The solutions are within reach and yet, our targets fall short and our timelines do not align. Most alarmingly, global climate change is still rapidly approaching dangerous tipping points due to the slow pace of implementation.
How do we make these solutions practical and accessible to all? And how do countries around the world access the knowledge, resources and partners they need to realize ambitious nationally determined commitments (NDCs) to reduce emissions?
Working in a three-way partnership, ICLEI- Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI), the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) and the World Business Council on Sustainable Development (WBCSD) have brought together world-leading scientists, engineers and technical experts from business, academia and local government to share knowledge, identify bottlenecks, discuss best practices and prioritize future research. The goal is to identify the potential technologies and pathways for the necessary transformation in each sector.
- 20 Sep 8:15AMRegistration opens
- 20 Sep 9:00AMLESC Partners Welcome
- 20 Sep 9:15AMProgress since last year and expectations for COP23
- 20 Sep 9:30AMConference Expectations and Enel Introduction
- 20 Sep 9:45AMRoad towards zero emissions: Vision for the future of the energy industry
- 20 Sep 10:00AMNetworking Break
- 20 Sep 10:15AMSession A - Deep Decarbonization Pathways: Where Do They Lead?
- 20 Sep 12:15PMLunch
- 20 Sep 1:15PMSession B - Demand Side Solutions to Renewable Integration: Do They Scale?
- 20 Sep 3:15PMNetworking Break
- 20 Sep 3:30PMSession C - Renewable Electricity Systems: How High Can We Go?
- 20 Sep 5:30PMClosing Remarks
- 21 Sep 9:00AMWelcome
- 21 Sep 9:15AMSession D. Autonomous and Electric Vehicles: On the Road to Deep Decarbonization?
- 21 Sep 10:30AMSession E: Alternative Energy, Nuclear and CCS: What are the Prospects?
- 21 Sep 11:45AMClosing Remarks
- 21 Sep 12:45PMDocumentary Pre-Screening