The Low-Emissions Solutions Conference is a direct follow-up to key commitments in the Paris agreement. In the agreement, every country is responsible for producing a Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) for the period to 2030 as well as a Low-Emission Development Strategy (LEDS) to 2050 (Article 4, paragraph 19). The Solutions Conference will assist nations in the technical preparations of their NDCs and LEDSs by bringing together technical experts, world-leading scientists and engineers, and sectors from business, academia, and civil society. The Solutions Conference will be aimed at problem solving, brainstorming, and global co-creation, without the pressures of inter-governmental negotiations or formal agreements. The goal will be to share knowledge, exchange information, identify bottlenecks, discuss best practices, and prioritize future research.
The LESC has taken place annually since 2016 and will continue into the future to help strengthen the technical capacity of Paris Agreement implementers worldwide.
The main idea of this conference is to support a collaborative brainstorming and solutions-oriented mode to the Paris Agreement, with the following specific objectives:
- Strengthen the technical capacities of the 196 signatory governments of the UNFCCC to design and implement long-term low greenhouse-gas emissions development strategies as called for in the Paris Agreement (NDCs and LEDSs)
- Chart key technology pathways for decarbonized energy systems, based on public-private partnerships
- Create an intensive global dialogue among engineers and technology specialists on innovative solutions for a low-emissions future
- Enhance global exchange and partnerships for technology solutions between governments, businesses, academia, and civil society organizations.
- Senior representatives from government with responsibility for the design, promotion and implementation of NDCs and LEDSs.
- Technical experts in related fields, world-leading scientists and engineers, high level research representatives from the business sector and guests from cities and regions around the globe.
The key outcome of the Solutions Conference will feed into the Global Climate Action Agenda.